If you’re looking for a high-tech ride with an old-school, retro look, Suzuki’s entry-level 250cc TU250X is back in the 2015 model lineup after a year’s absence. Originally launched in 2009, the 2015 Suzuki TU250X still features a single-cylinder, air-cooled engine with dual-throttle valve fuel injection and digital ignition.
The retro influence comes from the single round headlight, chromed, spoked wheels and swept-back, low-slung exhaust along the right side, a polished crank side case and a long, old-school duel seat. With a seat height of 30.3 inches, a curb weight of only 326 pounds and twin rear shocks, this motorcycle is a great starter bike.
Suzuki loaded a 3.2-gallon gas tank onto a lightweight tubular steel frame that makes the bike light enough to literally drag into a snug parking spot. The styling of the Metallic Silver and Glass Black paint job (the only one available) gives the illusion of cutouts on the tank.
It’s All About the Ride
- Whether you’re cruising through town or around a canyon hairpin, the TU has carrying speed through any corner thanks to the consistent brake performance of a single disc brake with dual-piston calipers up front and a drum setup in the rear. It rolls on 18-inch wheels with a 54.1-inch gap between the two.
- The impressively quiet suspension, with a telescoping front fork and twin rear shocks, easily absorb any bumps in the road. It can be a sweet replacement for your four-wheel ride or big-bore bike on long or short warm-weather commutes.
- The bike offers a comfortable ride thanks to the no-nonsense, upright position of the handlebars. They keep the weight off your hands while giving you better control and a more relaxing ride.
What Makes it Tick
- The exhaust system is outfitted with an oxygen sensor feedback system to help reduce exhaust emissions.
- The 5-speed transmission, with gear ratios suited for many riding conditions, shifts smoothly.
- The TU will give you nearly 80 mpg, with a range of about 240 miles and can give you a flat out 80 mph on a straightaway.
- The Suzuki Dual Throttle Valve (SDTV) fuel injection system features a 32mm throttle body, reducing emissions, while giving the bike good throttle response and power delivery.
- The PAIR (Pulsed-AIR) system burns away hydrocarbons by injecting fresh air into the exhaust port.
Some More Specs and Features
- Engine: 249cc, 4-stroke, air-cooled, single cylinder, OHC
- Fuel System: Suzuki fuel injection
- Starter: Electric
- Transmission: 5-speed constant mesh
- Final Drive: Chain, DID520V, 108 links
- Suspension Front: Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
- Suspension Rear: Swing arm type, coil spring, oil damped
- Brakes Front: Disc brake
- Brakes Rear: Drum brake
- Tires Front: 90/90-18 M/C 51S, tube type
- Tires Rear: 110/90-18 M/C 61S, tube type
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.2 gallons total
- Ignition: Transistorized electronic ignition
- Overall Length: 81.5 in (2070 mm)
- Overall Width: 29.5 in (750 mm)
- Ground Clearance: 6.5 in (165 mm )
The Bottom Line
The only sour note on this little ride is the bright orange plastic speedometer needle, which gives that part of an otherwise elegant machine a slightly cheesy look. But, if you’re a new rider anticipating the lure and freedom of two wheels and a more active and mobile lifestyle, or if you’re a busy commuter looking for a way out of transit fares or high gas prices, this compact 16-hp machine will take you almost anywhere without breaking the bank.
If you’re interested in checking out or test driving the 2015 Suzuki TU250X, head on over to Edge Performance Sports. We’re located in Ontario, Oregon in the heart of the Western Treasure Valley, a short drive from Boise, Idaho.